General SoDak Con Rules
1. Please remember to take the time to sleep, eat, stay hydrated, brush your teeth, and bathe. We want you all to stay healthy and conscious while attending the convention. Remember, if a situation arises where you need assistance keep calm and ask a staff member for help. We’re here to help!
2. Badges must be worn at all times during the convention above the waist on the front of your torso where it is easily visible for staff and other attendees.
3. Be courteous and patient to your fellow attendees, convention staff, security, and guests. We’re all here to have fun and keep things running smoothly so everyone can enjoy. This includes interrupting and/or disrupting panels run by attendees and special guests.
4. SoDak Con has a PG13 environment. Please keep all verbal, physical, and emotional interactions at or below this level and keep a friendly, positive, and polite attitude towards all of your fellow SoDak participants.
5. Children under the age of 13 are to not be left unattended at any time.
6. No random glomping, hugging, touching, or poking without warning or pursuing with unwanted attention. We do not want anyone feeling unsafe or for cosplay becoming damaged. Remember to ask before hugging or touching. If someone requests that you not touch them, please respect their personal space and admire from afar. Photobombing and disturbing other attendees is disrespectful and will be handled the same as Glomping.
7. Clothing must be worn at all times. If you are wearing something that you could not wear to a public swimming pool then you will be told to leave to change into something more appropriate. All attendees must wear shoes and a form of upper and lower body covering at all times regardless of gender. No form of connecting garments can be worn between two people including but not limited to chains, ropes, leashes, or handcuffs.
8. Outfits with trailing fabric, wings, or any oversized attachments or pieces should be worn with care. If you have an outfit you would like to show off that is rather extravagant in the sense of size you may not be allowed to walk through the halls for safety purposes. You may set up in one area for pictures but you should also make arrangements to be able to change at your convenience. Please show your stuff off at the cosplay competition if it is that intricate and detailed.
9. Cameras and video cameras are welcome in and during the convention. Cameras are NOT allowed in the video screening room or dealer’s room. That said, please be aware that you may be caught on film while attending the convention. By buying a ticket and attending the various events you are agreeing to being filmed or photographed by attendees and staff.
10. PROPS: There is a no real weapons policy at SoDak. No steel. No Air Soft. No Props that look like real weapons. If you have a prop of some sort it must be checked by operations and will be tagged or marked in some way. If the weapon looks too realistic you will be asked to paint an orange tip to it. If you are caught abusing this privilege in any way that could endanger someone you will be dismissed from the convention. There will be some panels and demonstrations exempt from this rule, and these situations are the only exceptions. This is just not the conventions policies but also the Civic Center’s policies. All props must be checked in and peace tied.
11. Please respect our venue! Trash goes in garbage cans, and the surrounding property should be seen as sacred as your own. You must follow their rules too.
12. If you see anything that could be potentially dangerous or activity that seems inappropriate please report it to a staff member immediately to be addressed.
13. SoDak Con is an alcohol and drug free convention. No attendee, staff or guests will be allowed to drink any kind of alcohol at the convention. If you come to the convention under the influence of alcohol or drugs you will be asked to leave. If you are caught providing alcohol or drugs to anyone at the convention you will be banned from the convention permanently.
14. If you are caught stealing from anyone or anywhere during the convention you will be detained, the police will be called, and you will be charged and banned from the convention permanently.
15. If you break any federal or state laws on site you will be held and detained for local authorities to come and handle you. SoDak is a safe and law abiding convention and we do this to keep it that way. If the authorities are needed for your situation you will be banned from the convention permanently.
16. During the convention there is a standard two strike policy. The first time that you are warned for breaking a rule or doing something that a staff member feels is inappropriate your badge will be punched with a hole puncher. If you have to be warned a second time your badge will be confiscated and you will be escorted off of the premises.